The England captain’s missed spot kick leaves him waiting for his first goal for the Three Lions
England captain Jordan Henderson was branded “selfish” after he missed a second-half penalty in Sunday’s 1-0 win against Romania.
A spot kick from Marcus Rashford after 68 minutes won the fixture for the Three Lions, but the return of the Liverpool midfielder after a four-month absence set tongues wagging on social media for the wrong reasons.
Henderson pulled rank on Dominic Calvert-Lewin to hit the spot kick, but saw his modest effort comfortably stopped. It led to an inevitable deluge of criticism on social media.
- De Bruyne emulates Ronaldo & Henry after Man City star wins back-to-back men’s PFA Player of the Year awards as Foden named Young Player of the Year
- Chelsea star Kirby wins women’s PFA Players’ Player of the Year as Hemp wins Young Player of the Year award
- New trophy, old rivals: Why the inaugural CONCACAF Nations League final really matters to USMNT and Mexico
- The rise of Florian Wirtz: The new star of German football shining at the U21 Euros
What did the fans say?
The reaction to the miss was not particularly understanding, even though Henderson is now the most-capped midfielder without an England goal.
Outfield players with over 50 England caps and 0 goals:
(DF) Kyle Walker – 55 caps
(MF) Jordan Henderson – 59 caps
(DF) Phil Neville – 59 caps
(DF) Des Walker – 59 caps
(DF) Ray Wilson – 63 caps
(DF) Gary Neville – 85 caps
(DF) Ashley Cole – 107 caps#Eng
— Don Robbie (@ItsDonRobbie) June 6, 2021
Henderson taking that off a young striker who could have added to his goals tally and gotten some confidence before the Euros is just not a very good mood from a “captain” is it 🥴
— Vic (@victoriacarlin_) June 6, 2021
The Roy Keane link
Prior to kick off, former Manchester United midfielder Roy Keane had criticised the decision to take Henderson to the European Championship, and fans were quick to react with memes of the mercurial pundit.
What did Southgate and the England camp say?
Gareth Southgate indicated that Henderson is unlikely to be given spot kick duties again, while the captain shrugged off the miss on social media.
Gareth Southgate on Jordan Henderson’s penalty 🗣
“We expected Dominic Calvert-Lewin to take it and I was expecting Hendo to go over to him and let him take it. We will pull rank next time.”
— Goal (@goal) June 6, 2021
- Rashford penalty earns England win
- Phillips: Sky the limit for Bellingham