– Diego Simeone was appointed manager at Spanish club Atletico Madrid in 2011
– The tactician has emerged the greatest manager in club football for last decade
– Simeone edged the likes of Pep Guardiola as well as Jurgen Klopp to the prestigious prize
PAY ATTENTION: Join Bioreports Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has emerged No.1 in the top 20 greatest managers of the last decade according to the International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS).
The Argentine tactician edged Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp as well as Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola to the prestigious award.
This ranking by the IFFHS was done while considering the annual votes for the 20 tacticians in the last ten years.
Simeone became Atletico manager in 2011 and was able to break the Real Madrid-Barcelona dominance of Spanish football as he tutored his side to the La Liga during the 2013-2014 season.
At 50, he has won the Europa League twice, reached the Champions League finals twice, and lifted the Spanish Super Cup as well as the Copa Del Rey.
Below are the 20 best managers of the last decade and the respective points total they received from the IFFHS.
20. Laurent Blanc (Al-Rayyan): 21 points
19. Jesse Marsch (RB Salzburg): 22 points
18. Leonardo Jardim: 25 points
Diego Simeone named greatest manager of last decade.
Photo: Robbie Jay Barratt
Source: Getty Images
17. Arsene Wenger: 25 points
16. Ernesto Valverde: 26 points
15. Jupp Heynckes: 34 points
14. Luis Enrique (Spain): 35 points
13. Sir Alex Ferguson: 35 points
12. Claudio Ranieri (Sampdoria): 36 points
11. Antonio Conte (Inter Milan): 53 points
10. Marcelo Gallardo (River Plate): 56 points
9. Mauricio Pochettino (Paris Saint-Germain): 56 points
8. Carlo Ancelotti (Everton): 57 points
7. Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid): 59 points
6. Unai Emery (Villarreal): 70 points
5. Massimiliano Allegri: 77 points
4. Jose Mourinho (Tottenham Hotspur): 91 points
3. Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool): 105 points
2. Pep Guardiola (Manchester City): 144 points
1. Diego Simeone (Atletico Madrid): 152 points
Meanwhile, Bioreports earlier reported that Lionel Messi has edged other superstars to the World’s Best Playmaker of the decade title, with fiercest rival Cristiano Ronaldo not making the top 10.
The Portuguese star is named in 12th position according to a latest compilation by the International Federation of Football History & Statistics.
This special recognition has been on annually since 2006 but now they have taken time to give a winner over the last decade.
Last year, Manchester City’s Kevin de Bruyne beat the Argentine to win the to the title, but Messi had won it four times previously – 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019.
3 interesting footballing moments between Maradona and Nigeria | Bioreports