A 100-bed capacity boys’ hostel at the Government Secondary School, Gboko in Benue State on Wednesday caught fire
Prof. Dennis Ityavyar, the state Commissioner of Education confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria (bioreports) on Wednesday in Makurdi.
It was learnt that the fire started at about 9:00 am when the students were already in class.
However, no casualty was recorded from the inferno.
The commissioner disclosed that there were indications that the fire was as a result of power surge, adding that details of the damage was yet to be ascertained.
“Government Secondary School, Gboko boys hostels was gutted by fire around 9a.m. The students were in school at the time.
“We believe it was an electricity surge, by tomorrow, we will give more comprehensive details on the incident
“The fire affected only one of the boys hostel, it is a co-educational school for both male and female,” he said.